Translate

Monday, April 27, 2015

(6) SOCIAL LIFE IN THE CZECH REPUBLIC



Everywhere I have visited, whether it is in Europe or the United States, has a different social atmosphere. The people have different languages, but I’m not talking about the verbal language. I’m talking about the nonverbal ques, the social feeling, the way people express themselves. That is what I have noticed most about being in Europe. That means I am constantly adapting to the environment. I have been in Europe for 46 days now, the majority of which has been spent in one social sphere, Olomouc. Olomouc is a quiet town, with humble people. My first impression of this town was that it was depressing. The people are soft spoken, and being loud is not a social norm. It was difficult for me to talk to the locals that did know English, not because I was scared of them, but because I didn’t want to offend them. The American culture has the stereotype of being loud and obnoxious, so it is easy to see where the two cultures may not mix. However, now that I have a feeling for the social environment of Olomouc it is easier for me to talk with the locals. I know that during the day, it is better to have a calmer attitude about things, but during the night, the locals enjoy a “louder” environment at the local pubs. Seeing as how the Czech Republic is one of the highest consumers of beer in the world, it is easy to see the correlation between an increased social environment and the evening events.

This has also taught me a lesson. In the United States I feel like my social groups are always trying to talk over one another. Discussions become a clustered mess of people yelling and people one-up each other. Here in Olomouc, when I’m talking to a local, I feel like they are truly listening, and it feels great to have them respond to what I am saying, and not responding just so they can get their word in. I believe the social context of Olomouc has increased my want to listen to people, to hear their story. I’m not saying I don’t listen to my friends, but I am saying that I can get caught up in a loud group. Our Czech professor taught us that when you ask a Czech how they are doing, it truly means you are interested in their life. However, in the states, I feel like a casual, “how are you?” is only a formality. Although my initial experience in the Czech was rough, I believe I have learned a great deal about patients and listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment