Translate

Monday, May 18, 2015

(2) THE END... sort of

Life in Olomouc, academically speaking, is very different from the United States. Although I have touched some on the academic life, I thought since I have just finished finals it would be good to give an overview of my experience.

At the beginning I was quite surprised when there were no tests in the special lecture classes. These classes included a multitude of professors talking about European history, economics, culture, development, and so on. However, there was a “test” in the Czech Language class. It was more of self-examination to see how you were doing in the class. At the end of the semester we were informed there would be two finals, one on the special lecture classes we attended, and another on the Czech language. With a whole note book of notes just for the special lecture class I thought it would be a daunting task.

After our last class of the semester there was a party for all of the students in the back of the history building, where we attended classes every day. At the party were a few of the professors from class. After consuming a few beverages and enjoying some grilled food we talked to Martin, one of our main guides and professors from the semester. He informed us to have a good time and not to worry about finals. Hold on. This was something I never would have heard from a professor back in the states. I laughed at him as if I caught his joke, but then he looked at me seriously and told me to enjoy the end of year party. Having stressed the entire day for the upcoming test, I was confused on how to act. Do I return to the dorms and study diligently, as is required for any of my test in the United States, or do I take my teachers advice and enjoy myself? Unsure of what was to come on the examination I decided to find a happy medium. I stayed at the party and socialized with some of the local students and professors, and then went home to briefly look over my notes.

The final was unlike any test I had taken. I guess I shouldn’t say “any test” because there was multiple choice and essay. The multiple choice portion was simple because there is simply four answers to choose from; however, the essay questions were difficult. In the United States, the essay questions are very specific and you must use specific information in the essay. In the essay questions assigned for the final it was open for interpretation. Of course the essays had to relate to the special lectures, but other than that it was open to what you learned from the lecture, not a specific set of notes or power points given. Although it sounds like it would be easy, it was actually very difficult to come up with my own thoughts, at least at first. Once I got an idea in my head I was able to run with it and write an essay. Another essay presented was that you had to pick a topic to write about, and then pick a point of view to write from. For instance, I chose to write about propaganda during World War 2, and I chose to write it from a social perspective, in other words, how society viewed and was influenced by propaganda. I thought this was extremely fun! I got my mind to think in new ways that other tests never had. I not only recalled information I learned from the year, but I was also able to present my own ideas on the test.


Overall, I was impressed with the way European classes were run. It is an environment that is not high pressure. Yes there was pressure to learn, but it was fun. I didn’t feel like the information was forced down my throat. Rather, I could consume the knowledge at my own rate, and I felt motivated to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment